Dr Tan Hui Hui is a consultant gastroenterologist with subspecialty interest in the field of hepatology (liver diseases).
Dr Tan received her general gastroenterology training at the Singapore General Hospital and was a senior consultant of the department before she left at the end of 2017. During her stint in the public service, she was active in the teaching and training of medical students and residents.
Upon completion of her specialty training in Singapore, she did an advanced hepatology fellowship at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York. There, she received exposure and training in the management of patients with complex liver disease as well as a wide spectrum of liver conditions, such as viral hepatitis, fatty liver disease, end-stage liver cirrhosis, liver failure and liver transplantation. She was a past recipient of the Medical Research Fellowship (National Medical Research Council) to further her work on the pathogenesis of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
She has published widely in many peer-reviewed journals as first author. She has also participated in conducting numerous clinical trials in the field of hepatology and has also been an invited speaker in many local and international conferences to share her expertise and research in hepatology.
English, Mandarin, Hokkien, Teochew
- Yee ML, Tan HH. Use of everolimus in liver transplantation. World J Hepatol 2017; 9(23): 990-1000.
- Kumar R, Testoni B, Fresquet J, Lim KHT, Hao Y, Tan HH, Chow WC, Zoulim F. Development of hepatocellular carcinoma in chronic hepatitis B patients with advanced fibrosis is independent of viral genotype. J Med Virol 2017; 89: 845-48.
- de Wolf A, Martin P, Tan HH. Liver disease: Epidemiology, pathophysiology and medical management (Section 6: Liver, chapter 19, pp 183-200). In: Oxford textbook of transplant anesthesia and critical care. Pretto Jr, EA, ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford, United Kingdom. 2015
- Yee ML, Tan HH, Sia WJ, Yau WP. Influences of donor and recipient gene polymorphisms on tacrolimus dosing and pharmacokinetics in Asian liver transplant patients. Open J Org Trans Surg 2013; 3: 53-62.
- Tan HH, Schiano TD. The effects of liver disease on drug metabolism in humans (Volume X, chapter 9). In: Encyclopedia of drug metabolism. Lyubimov AV, ed. John Wiley & sons, Inc, New Jersey. October 2012.
- Tan HH, Low ASC, Rumpel H, Lim KH, Chow WC. Magnetic resonance spectroscopy as a non-invasive tool to assess degree of steatosis in Asian subjects with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011; 26(S5): 161(559A)
- Tan HH, Ang JA, Kumaran SS, Chow WC. Drug-induced liver injury in an Asian tertiary referral centre. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011; 26(S5): 162 (560A)
- Kumar R, Tan HH, Lim KH, Chow WC. Neither presence nor severity of steatosis influences chronic hepatitis B outcomes. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011; 26(S5): 162 (561A)
- Tan HH, P Martin. Care of the liver transplant candidate. In: Orthotopic liver transplantation. Clin Liv Dis Nov 2011; 15: 779-806.
- Tan HH, Chow WC, Lim KH, Wan WK, Chung AYF, Cheow PC, Tan CK. Liver transplantation in an adult with citrullinaemia type 2 (CTLN2). J Transpl 2011; 2011:176370. Epub 2011 May 10. DOI:10.1155/2011/176370.
- Tan HH, Leong HN, Tan BH, Oon LLE, Lim KH, Chang JPE, Tan CK. Chronic hepatitis E infection resulting in graft failure in a liver transplant tourist. Case Rep Transpl 2011. Article ID 654792. DOI: 10.1155/2011/654792.
- Massoumi H, Martin P, Tan HH. Management of chronic hepatitis B. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011; 8: 642-50.
- Tan HH, Martin P. Management of end-stage liver disease in chronic hepatitis B. Clin Liv Dis 2010; 14: 477-493.
- Tan HH, Fiel MI, Sun Q, Guo J, Gordon RE, Chen LC, Friedman SL, Odin JA, Allina J. Kupffer cell activation by ambient air particulate matter exposure may exacerbate non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. J Immunotoxicol 2009; 6(4): 266.
[Also selected by Informa Pharmaceutical Science as one of November 2009 must-read best toxicology articles]
- Tan HH, Fiel MI, del Rio Martin J, Schiano TD. Graft rejection occurring in post-liver transplant patients receiving cytotoxic chemotherapy: A case series. Liver Transpl 2009; 15: 634-639
[Also selected by MDLinx Gastroenterology.com as a featured article]
- Tan HH, Martin P. Controversies in Alcoholic Liver Disease. Mount Sinai J Med 2009; 76: 484-498
- Martin P, Tan HH. Medscape gastroenterology: Ask-the-experts forum. Question: Does cccDNA have any role in predicting response to therapy with the oral antiviral agents in hepatitis B? Reply available at: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/579657
- Tan HH, Schiano TD. Hepatitis C treatment in the potential liver transplant candidate. Current Hepatol Reports 2009; 8(2): 81-6
- Tan HH, Chang CY, Martin P. Acetaminophen hepatotoxicity: Current management. Mount Sinai J Med 2009; 76: 75-83.
- Tan HH, Martin P. Hepatitis B virus and liver transplantation. Current Hepatol Reports 2008; 7(Suppl): 139-144.
- Tan HH, Lee GH, Thia KTJ, Ng HS, Chow WC, Lui HF. Minimal hepatic encephalopathy runs a fluctuating course: results from a 3-year prospective cohort follow-up study. Singapore Med J 2009; 50: 255-60.
- Tan HH. Common GI cancers. SGH Medical Grapevine Sept 2009: 25-27
- Tan HH, Lui HF, Chow WC. Chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection in pregnancy. Hepatology International 2008; 2: 370-75.
- Tan HH, Ooi LL, Tan D, Tan CK. Recurrent abdominal pain in a woman with a wandering spleen. Singapore Med J. 2007; 48(4): e122-4